What if my name was David Hockney or Phillip Wilson Steer ?

What is in a name ?

Skill - artistry - experience - style - substance - uniqueness ?

How do names become names ?

I remember the valid criticism by my tutors in Portsmouth - that I was pursuing the empty dream of being original ! But what truly separates the 'Sunday painter' from the names ?

Alfred Wallis is a name - he became a name because his naive paintings were celebrated by Ben Nicholson and Barbara Hepworth. He was discovered.

There is nothing new under the sun - that is true. We are all influenced by each other and no-one is truly original. It may be a long wait before we are discovered !!

In the meantime I have continued to enjoy returning to my roots - being less tight in my painting and experimenting with paper and different shapes.

I recently walked another section of the Cambrian Way with my friends Charles and Neil. We walked from Rhandirmwyn to the remote hostel of Ty'n Cornel. We saw no other person on the entire walk.The valley was entirely silent apart from the sound of the river the buzzards and a lone dipper.

It was like being transported back in time - no roads or traffic - just raw landscape.

Here is my interpretation of it ....... Is it original ?!





Well I like it.

Paul.

Comments